Chicken Haleem from Maimoona Yasmeen’s Recipes
YOU CAN ALSO REACH US ON :
Youtube Subscribe -https://www.youtube.com/c/hyderabadwala?sub_confirmation=1
Website – http://www.hyderabadwala.com
Facebook – http://www.facebook.com/hyderabadwale?ref=hl
Google Plus – https://plus.google.com/+Hyderabadwala
Twitter – https://twitter.com/Hyderabadwalaa
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/hyderabadwalarecipes/
Onions: 250 grams
Cashews: 50 grams
Oil for frying
1. To a frying pan, add oil for frying.
2. When the oil is hot, add thinly sliced onions.
3. Fry till the onions turn light brown and crispy. Remove and keep aside.
4. Into the same oil, fry cashews till golden brown. (Take out 3 tablespoons of cooked oil from the pan and keep aside).
For Chicken Gravy:
Boneless chicken pieces: 500 grams
Salt: 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder: 1 teaspoon
Red chilli powder: 3 teaspoons
Spices (garam masala powder): 1 teaspoon
Mint leaves: 2 tablespoons
Chopped coriander: 2 tablespoons
Whipped curd: 1 tea cup or 125 grams (standard cup – ½ cup)
Cooking oil: 2 tablespoons
Sliced onions: 1 tablespoon
Ginger garlic paste: 1 tablespoon
1. Wash and drain chicken pieces.
2. Add salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, spices or garam masala powder, chopped coriander, mint leaves and whipped curd.
3. Mix well and leave this chicken for marination for about one hour.
4. After one hour of marinating the chicken pieces, add oil to a pan.
5. Add thinly sliced onions. Stir fry till the onions turn light brown.
6. Add ginger garlic paste. Stir fry for 30 seconds.
7. Add the marinated chicken pieces. Mix well and close the lid.
8. Cook on medium to low flame till the chicken pieces get very tender.
9. Stir fry the chicken till the oil separates.
10. Switch off the flame and mash thoroughly.
For Cooking Crushed or Broken Wheat (haleem rawa or daliya):
Broken/crushed/crackled wheat or haleem rawa/daliya: 250 grams
Split red lentils (masoor dal): a handful
Split green gram (moong dal): a handful
Split Bengal gram (chana dal): a handful
Split black gram (maash dal/urad dal): a handful
Split red gram/pigeon pea lentils (tuvar/toor dal): a handful
Water: 2 litres
1. To a frying pan, add split red lentils or masoor dal, split green gram or moong dal, split Bengal gram or chana dal, split black gram or maash or urad dal, pigeon pea lentils or split red gram or tuvar dal and roast till golden brown.
2. Remove from the pan and keep aside.
3. To a cooking pan, add washed broken or crushed wheat or haleem rawa.
4. Add roasted and washed lentils.
5. Add 2 litres of water and close the lid.
6. Cook on medium to low flame till the wheat and lentils get tender. Stir frequently to prevent burning.
7. Switch off the flame and leave it to cool.
8. When wheat and lentils cool down, mash roughly using a hand blender or a mixer grinder.
Final Preparation of Haleem (blending of chicken and crushed wheat):
Cooked and mashed chicken
Cooked and ground crushed wheat
Chopped coriander: ½ teacup
Chopped mint leaves: ½ teacup
Salt: 3 teaspoons (add only 2 teaspoons initially and later add more salt as per the requirement)
Spices (garam masala powder): 1 ½ teaspoon
Black pepper powder: 2 ½ teaspoons
Clarified butter (pure ghee): 2 tablespoons
Cooked oil (which we used for frying the onions and cashews): 3 tablespoons
Half of the fried and crushed onions
1. To the ground broken wheat and lentils, add mashed chicken.
2. Add chopped coriander, chopped mint leaves, salt, spices or garam masala powder, black pepper powder, clarified butter or pure ghee, cooked oil and add half of the fried and crushed onions.
3. Cook on medium flame while mixing or blending thoroughly for about 5 minutes.
4. Simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes, keep stirring in between to prevent burning.
5. Switch off the flame and dish out the haleem.
Clarified butter/pure ghee
Chopped mint leaves
Half of the fried and crushed onions
1. Dish out the cooked haleem and garnish with clarified butter or pure ghee, chopped mint leaves, chopped coriander, fried and crushed onions and fried cashews.
Chicken Haleem is ready.