Today, Josh is creating a Shawarma meatball sub. Make your own with the recipe below! MK # 063
Help us make even better content and products for you by participating in the 2021 Mythical Census. As a thank you, you’ll receive a Mythical Store discount! Ends May 14th. Details: http://mythicalcensus.com
Subscribe to Mythical Kitchen: https://www.youtube.com/mythicalkitchen?sub_confirmation=1
Check out our podcast, A Hot Dog Is A Sandwich!
Apple Podcasts: https://www.mythical.com/hotdog
Click the bell icon so you’ll know when we add a new video!
Want more Mythical Kitchen? Check out these playlists:
Fancy Fast Food – https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW8XZTagL0oJhk71Ip3rIzHOFY3Edw2pw
Snack Smash – https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW8XZTagL0oKYv5beEZpH5hP8aA5ahGKQ
Food Fears – https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW8XZTagL0oK6vh1N6DOYcdWzGyuAxjtN
Food Feats – https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW8XZTagL0oJI4IG7pZ-y792AHI4vIbWD
Pick up official Mythical Kitchen merch at https://mythical.com/collections/mythical-kitchen
Join the Mythical Society: https://www.mythicalsociety.com
Follow Mythical Kitchen:
Mythical Chef Josh’s Instagram: https://instagram.com/mythicalchefjosh
Check Out Our Other Mythical Channels:
Good Mythical Morning: https://youtube.com/goodmythicalmorning
Rhett & Link: https://youtube.com/rhettandlink
Ear Biscuits: https://applepodcasts.com/earbiscuits
Good Mythical MORE: https://youtube.com/goodmythicalmore
Want to send us something? https://mythical.com/contact
Meatball – 1:05
Sauce – 7:02
Carve – 10:07
Step 1: Make The Meatball Mixture
* 1 Tbsp olive oil
* ½ peeled onion
* 1 cups milk
* 2 ½ cups fresh breadcrumbs
* 3 lbs 85/15 beef
* 3 eggs
* ½ cup minced garlic
* ½ cup finely chopped basil
* ½ cup chopped parsley
* 1 Tbsp chili flake
* 1 Tbsp dried oregano
* 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
* 1 ½ tsp salt
* 1 block low moisture mozzarella cheese
1) Heat the olive oil in a large skillet then grate your onion into the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until all the moisture cooks out.
2) While the onions are cooking, add your bread crumbs to a large mixing bowl and pour the milk over top. Toss with your hands so all the bread soaks.
3) To the mixing bowl, add meat, garlic, basil, parsley, chili flake, oregano, eggs, parm, and salt. When the onions have slightly cooled, add them too.
4) Mash the meatball mixture together with either a giant whisk or your hands, whatever works.
5) Let the mixture set in the fridge for at least an hour.
6) Cut the block of mozzarella into squares.
7) Stack meat into a large cylinder on the shawarma spit, along with the cheese and cook.
* Large mixing bowl
* Shawarma spit
Step 2: Make the sauce
* ¼ cup butter
* 1 jalapeno, minced
* 6 finely diced scallions
* ½ red bell pepper
* 2 Tbsp minced garlic
* 2 28-oz cans crushed tomatoes
* 2 Tbsp harissa (optional)
* 1 tsp Salt
* 2 tsp Sugar
1) Add the butter to a large sauce pot and let melt over medium heat. Sautee the jalapenos, scallions, red bell pepper, and garlic until softened, about 4 minutes, then add salt. If you’re using harissa, add that here.
2) Add sugar and canned tomatoes, then use a potato masher to break up the tomatoes. Do that for about 5 minutes until it looks like a sauce, then turn the heat to low and simmer for 2 hours until alot of the tomato juice has evaporated.
* Large sauce pot
* Potato masher
* Cutting board
* Wooden spoon
Step 3: Assemble the sandwich
* 1 hoagie roll
* 3 slices provolone picante
* 1 small bowl of ricotta
* Chopped parsley for garnish
1) Slice bun in half and broil until the inside is toasted.
2) Schmear ricotta on one side of the bread, then add sauce to the other side. Use a knife to shave meat off the meatball spit and add to the sandwich. Top with more sauce, then broil with cheese on top until melted.
* Shawarma Spit
* Slicing knife
* Small baking sheet
* Cutting board
* Bread knife